Turtle Cookies rolled in mini chocolate chips and pecans then filled with creamy, silky caramel and drizzled with chocolate for triple chocolate heaven! This Turtle Cookies Recipe looks super impressive but is actually super easy to make!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 30 Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 14 soft caramel candies (I use Kraft)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- In a hand or stand mixer, beat butter until creamy, add sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, molasses, and vanilla; mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. After 2 hours, remove dough. (Let sit for a few minutes if its too hard to work with.)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with nonslip mats or parchment; set aside.
- Mix together the mini chocolate chips and pecan pieces in a small bowl. Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in chocolate chips/pecans, pressing them firmly into the dough. Place 10 balls per baking sheet (it makes a total of 30 cookies) about 2 inches apart.
- Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, make a slight indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake for 10 minutes then let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Once cookies are transferred to rack, gently re-press the indentations.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare the caramel filling by microwaving caramels and cream together in a small bowl until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds until melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Fill each indentation with about 1/2 teaspoon of the caramel.
- To make the Chocolate Drizzle, microwave chocolate in a small bowl on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Stir in shortening. Transfer chocolate to a
- Ziploc bag, snip off a small corner and drizzle over cookies.
December 4, 2019